We had quite the ordeal last weekend! We stayed home from church Sunday because some of us were unable to pull ourselves up off the bathroom floor. (That would be me) By the evening, I was feeling better, not myself yet but better. Some of the boys were upstairs playing when we heard a thump and some serious crying. Travis ran up and came back down with a sobbing Kyle in his arms. He looked at me and said that he thought his arm might be broken and that he was going to take him to the ER. I freaked a little bit!! (or a lot!) We got him semi-dressed and they left. Travis was doing his best to keep me in the loop while I was trying to comfort the kiddo who was upstairs with him! I was also trying to figure out what happened. It turns out, they were building a fort in between the couch and the loveseat upstairs. Kyle was standing on the arm of the couch (which is a big no-no) when another brother pushed him off to stop him from destroying said fort. (another big no-no) The other brother felt so bad and I spent a good hour assuring him that accidents happen, etc. A few hours later Travis called to let me know that they decided the break was so bad that he needed to have surgery! Again, I freaked out! They also decided it would be best to have a pediatric orthepedic surgeon handle it so they were going to trasfer him via ambulance. Um, excuse me?! My baby?! I immediately called my mom and she said she would be right over. I hopped in the shower (keep in mind I had been sick ALL day!). As soon as my mom got to my house, I left. This is how my baby looked when I got there:
It was so heart breaking!! He was such a trooper the entire time and whenever anyone needed to come in and check on him he was cooperative and always said thank you when they were done! They had to secure his arm before he could ride on the ambulance. I went with him and Travis met us over there. We weren't really sure what to expect. Once we got to Cardon's Childrens Hospital, we were led away to his room. There they got him all settled for the night. The on-call pediatritian came and talked to us. We found out that surgery wouldn't happen until the morning, so Travis headed home so my mom could go home. By this time, it was a little after 11:00pm I attempted to sleep, which was darn near impossible! Around 2:00am his nurse came im to let me know that his surgery was scheduled for 7:30 and they would take him down at 5:30. My sweet mom went back over to my house at 5 in the morning so Travis could come back up. We went down with him to the pre-op room. The hardest thing in the world was when they wheeled him away!! He cried and wouldn't let go of my hand!! His surgery lasted about an hour. he did great!! They had to rebreak the bone to set it and then they placed some pins to hold the bones in place. (Gross, huh?!) They put him in a soft cast and sling.
He was pretty out of it most of the day. He started running a little fever so we had to wait awhile to take him home! Finally, about 4:30 we were able to leave!! It was a LONG day!!
He has done pretty well since coming home. You can tell that he is pretty irritated that he can't use his arm much. I am also paranoid about him going to school until he gets the pins out!! We meet with the surgeon on Wednesday and hopefully he will be able to take the pins out and put a hard cast on!
2 comments:
Poor kid! What a tough cookie. Hope he is feeling better and will heal up quickly.
Oh poor Kyle! Hope he gets back to normal soon. That is so sad. You'll be surprised how fast he bounces back though. I was amazed at how quickly Sam got back to normal when she broke her leg!
Post a Comment