Friday, February 24, 2012

The grieving process

I know I am not the only mother who has gone through this whole ugly diagnosis process. But there have been countless times in the last few days that have left me feeling completely and utterly alone. Most of the time life goes on just as normal as can be. And then, out of nowhere, it hits me. All the fears, worries and self-doubt come rearing their ugly head. I have been told by several people that I will go through a grieving process. I will need to grieve over the child I thought I had. This sounded so mean to me st first. But I think I am beginning to understand what they meant. Very few things in Jackson's life will be normal. Which means the same for the rest of us. How is that fair to my other kids? It's all so much to take in. And I often find myself feeling as awful, sad, depressed, etc. as I did the day we read the words "autistic disorder." Will it ever get easier? When does this grieving process end? And then what will take its place?

4 comments:

gina said...

Beth and your family are in my prayers. Hang in there!

Your favorite sister said...

Every feeling you have is valid. You are going to have GREAT days. You are going to have BAD days. You are going to have AWFUL days. I have been dealing with Ivan's autism diagnosis for 4 years. Tuesday was a tear-filled awful day. I seriously had a crying headache. Wednesday it was like a completely different kid. Just keep hanging on. "Do your best, leave the rest, angels do no more." Love you and I am always here, to celebrate or commiserate (:

Wolfingtons said...

It's hard as a mom to see and know the struggles that your kids are going through. Then to think of all the unknown things that could happen. Let yourself be sad and then let your friends and family help you back up.

Daniel & Kelli McDowell Family said...

Grieving is definitely in order, and not mean at all. Hang in there sweet pea.