Thursday, February 09, 2012

Autism

This has been a rough day. But it's one we have been anticipating/dreading for awhile. Today we received an autism diagnosis for Jackson. I won't go into many specifics, but I had a feeling that there was more going on with Jackson for awhile. Both twins have developmental delays that are common with preemies and twins. But there seemed to be more challenges for Jackson. He has a really hard time with changes. And I mean a really hard time. He struggles with loud noises, weird textures and making friends. He can't look anyone in the eye, he sleeps on the floor and suffers from extreme anxiety. It was hard to hear the words "Jackson has autistic disorder." But it was also a relief. I suppose only a few people will truly understand what that is like. It's a hard thing to want there to be something "wrong" with your child. It's hard to have your child labeled. But it means now I have something to use in my fight to get him what he needs. And I plan to fight! But for today, I am still feeling sad. And I have decided that it is okay for me top be sad. Let our new journey begin....

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Jackson couldn't have a better mom to fight this fight with him! There will be ups and downs and really hard days and really great days. You're a great mom and I know you'll be a great advocate for your son! If you need anything, I'm here...

Ashley said...

Hey BCF, I hope you know that you can call me anytime if you need to talk or anything! You really are my very best friend and I would do anything for you! Jackson is an amazing little man and he will pull through this because you and Travis are great parents and can give him all the support he needs! Plus you always have my family to help from a distance! Love you!!!

Lisa said...

Sending hugs your way! I'm sure you have mixed emotions, but I am also sure it is at least nice to have answers. You are a great mom and you will make it through everything with Jackson! Hang in there, my friend!

Lisa said...

Answers are good. I know it's hard to hear those words, but I think it will help you in the long run. We're dealing with a similar issue - possibly Asperger's (which is on the autism scale), but we don't have an official diagnosis yet. We've been trying to do what we can without getting that label. We've read books and blogs, talked to people and met with the school about it. Things have escalated over the last few weeks, and we're looking into pursuing the diagnosis. It's hard. It's hard to see your child struggle so much and not know how to help them. It's hard to know that things are more difficult for them than for other people. But I think you will find that by having the diagnosis, you'll be able to receive a lot more help. Good luck and much love!