Friday, February 14, 2014

This is why I hate Valentine's Day....

 I've never been a fan of Valentine's Day but it seems like we, as a society, have gone a little crazy over this "holiday." I would prefer my husband not spend $30.00+ on flowers, plus another 5 bucks for a card and I have no idea how much those boxes of chocolates cost! You know how I know he loves me?! Even though he has been sick he came home from work last night and made the boys dinner AND he cleaned it up. Why?! Because I wasn't feeling well. That's romantic. That means more than over-priced flowers.

And what is with all the presents and crap for kids?! I felt like the worse mom ever this morning as I was strolling through my Facebook news feed. I didn't get my kids new clothes or toys or boxes of candy and balloons. Heck, I didn't even get up and make them heart shaped anything for breakfast! I did pour their cereal for them though. I hope they know I still love them even though I don't buy them crap for every little holiday. (And I really don't mean to offend the people that do. More power to you, I just don't have that kind of time or money!) Oh and we didn't do homemade Valentine's either. I bought them at Wal Mart and I complained about how much they cost for 2 weeks!

Maybe I'm just not a romantic. Heck, I know I'm not. But to me love is a verb, an action word. It's something you do, not something you buy.

Stepping off my soap box now....

Enjoy your day people. Show the people you love that you do, indeed, love them. But don't forget about the other 364 days of the year when you aren't obligated by some made up holiday to show love and affection for those in your life.

No comments: