It's been almost a week since one of our little guys was admitted to the hospital. This experience taught me a few things about being prepared that I really had never considered before. Emergency preparedness is not just for huge, natural disaster type emergencies. It is for any time you and your family hit a bump in the road that is life. Let me explain:
1. Keep your house clean: Jackson was admitted to the hospital Monday and I had been home with sick kids since Friday. My house was a mess. By the time we were finally able to come home I was emotionally and physically tired. And it was beyond depressing to walk into such a mess. My sweet hubby tried cleaning up but between running kids back and forth and running to the hospital, it just didn't happen.
2. Freezer meals: I have always thought about making a bunch of meals to keep in my freezer for those busy nights where I needed a quick, easy dinner. This experience made me wish I had already done so. A nice meal would have been awesome to come home to. Especially since we hadn't eaten much in the past few days. Which leads me to my next point....
3. Extra Cash: We are paycheck to paycheck people. And we are cash people, meaning we don't use credit cards. After we paid the hospital co-pay, we didn't have much cash on hand left. When your kid is in the hospital, they can eat whatever they want. But you have to buy food. So, I didn't eat much.
4. "Go" Bags: I always thought of 72-hour kits as being necessary for a disaster. I wish I had one put together so poor Travis didn't have to try and find everything I needed for an unexpected hospital stay in his emotional and exhausted state. It just would have been easier if he could grab a small bag full of what I would need.
5. And this last one doesn't have much to do with emergency preparedness but it's good to know....dehydration happens really fast. Jackson started throwing up Saturday and within 2 days was hospitalized withe extreme dehydration. It got dangerous really fast. I am glad I followed my gut and took him in.


1 comment:
Oh those are so true! We are lucky we haven't had any hospital visits, but our lives are so busy. So while I don't have the emotional aspect of the things you talked about, I understand what you are saying!
Post a Comment