Wednesday, January 06, 2010

New Year, New Goals

I have been really hesitant to record my "New Year's Resolutions" on my bl0g. I used to love making goals and working to achieve them. However, the older I get, the busier I get and I feel like making goals is a waste of my time. Maybe it's because my goals seem so unattainable to me. So, with much trepidation, I have decided to record my biggest goal for 2010. I was also worried about writing it here because it is a little embarrassing....it's hard to really put yourself out there. But, for the grand total of 3 people that actually look at this (and I am sure I am related to at least 2 of them) I figured what the heck?! So, here is my 2010 New Year's Resolution....(drum roll please)

I want my family to become financial stable.

There. I said it. I am so tired of living paycheck to paycheck and barely being able to get by. Our move to Colorado took a big hit on our finances. We make less money and it costs more to live here. But I really don't think I can use that as an excuse anymore. We need to be better at managing our money. Here is the kicker, neither Travis or I are very good at budgeting or anything else that has to do with money management. I am not sure it is something you can learn of if it is something you have to just figure out on your own. Either way, we have no idea what we are doing.

This is where you, my loyal readers (all 3 of you!!) come in. What works for you? What doesn't work for you? We need all the help we can get. I want this to be the year that we can enjoy a couple family outings because we actually have money to do them! Since winning the lottery doesn't seem to be working, we need a new plan!! I welcome any comments or suggestions and I am going to document our progress here. (Without giving away too much personal information, of course!) This is really important to me and I am hopeful we can finally make this goal happen!!

7 comments:

Jaymie and Donna Jones said...

We sat down and came up with a week to week budget,not including monthly bills. So we caculated how much we should spend on groceries, hair cut, doc visits, gas, and a date night including babysitter. WE added it up and decided that each week we will have THIS much money for that. Now obvioulsy we don't get a hair cut every week or go to the doctor but any extra money can go into next week or be used on if somthing in the other colums is more expenive that week for some reason. Also, we agreed to alot eachother a certin abount each month that is not apart of the weekly budget that we can spend on what ever we feel like, the amount goes up and down depending on how well we are doing finacially, right now we have $0 for our monthly but that is what works for us. I hope that all makes since. And I hope you find something that works well for you! The goal is pick a plan and make it work. There is going to be some bumbs and mistakes but just stick to it and it will help alot more!

Elizabeth said...

Oh, I love and hate stuff like this at the same time! It feels so good to be financially set, but it is also hard work. We are currently in our fourth year as students, living on a tiny (and I really mean that) budget that we get from the school. We knew that if we could survive on this for five years, we would end school debt free. It has been really hard, really really hard at times. But, we have also had lots of abundance at times that we wonder where it comes from. We are frugal in everything that we do, from date nights, to the kids clothes. But, here are a couple things I have learned that might help you stay in a budget. Only go to the grocery store once a week. Whenever you stop in for something little, that one item turns into a $40 bill. So, go once a week (or less if possible), and only get what you need (don't forget to buy items on sale that can be used for food storage for coming weeks and months). Also, don't go to stores like Walmart and Target more than once every other week. I love those stores, but they also suck my money away. So, I go once every other week, with a list of items we NEED. These are a couple of things that help us stay in our budget as students, and it has really helped. I am excited to read all about this year for you! It is a great goal to have, and I think having to 'report' on your blog will make you more accountable for what you spend. Good luck! (sorry for the expanded response)

Your favorite sister said...

Oh you are so wonderful!! Right now, we are at a very good place. But when we were in school..yikes! Times were TOUGH. We would actually ask for money for all birthdays and holidays and that would be put toward bills! Anyway, I have no idea how much you make and all that BUT if I were you, I would check into seeing if you qualify for any public assistance. I know it can be embarrasing but what about WIC, Food stamps, lower income housing etc? If you qualify, take advantage! That is what it is there for. Second, only use cash!! When we had Target and Wal Mart (sigh) I could go drop $100 no problem. Just whip my debit/credit card through. Easy right? But when you have to hand over that cash and actually see a pile of cash dwindle, you are a lot more careful about what you are buying! If you have never read them, look for the Tightwad Gazette books at the library. Or if you have a little room in your budget to buy it, I would recommend it. Some things may seem "out there" or too extreme but she has a lot of good ideas. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you!

Your favorite sister said...

So after my insanely long comment, I realized I forgot something! I am sorry but I just have to add it. One thing I had to learn for myself was not to keep up with the Jones's. I always thought that meant the big stuff, like houses, cars etc. But it matters with the little stuff too. Can't afford to buy Scentsy but your friend is having a party? Just say no. A friend wants you to go to the zoo, or the mall or etc. etc If you can't afford it, don't do it. Your friends will love you whether or not you spend money with them or not! The little things really add up!
OK I think I am done! (:

Amber said...

Good for you guys and good luck! I don't have any great advice but have enjoyed reading everyone else's! We are trying to do better with this too this year. Our new fancy target isn't making it any easier though.... good luck!! :)

Cathy said...

This is a great goal! Here are a few things we do/are trying to do: movies - my husband really likes going to movie theaters, but it's expensive! So, we get movies at the library. It's a longer wait for new movies, but the libraries do get them and it's free. Also, we are careful not to go out much, so that occasionally we can - even getting ice cream for the two of us, not to mention kids, is way more money than a half gallon of the really good ice cream from the grocery store. Like someone else said, the fewer trips to the store, the better. I'm trying to plan meals for at least a month at a time, and although we eat the same kinds of things as when I don't plan so well, if I plan then I go to the store less - every other week - and spend less. I only buy chicken when it's on a good sale, and buy a lot to freeze, same with ground meat. As for bills, when we can we set them up for level pay - that way the bill is the same all year long and you're not stuck with a high gas bill in the winter and little to none in the summer. It's much easier to budget that way. And one more thing - clothes for kids. I buy many used. Coats, boots, and pants, especially, are so much cheaper used (if you have a good used children's clothes store that's the best) and you can usually get good quality things, even name brands for so much less. Good luck!

Debi said...

Beth, sorry this is late but I don't really have any advice because I am actually trying the same thing this year! I have enjoyed reading all ur friends advice tho. I wish u good luck and know that u will make it work!