I seem to be missing my adorable, sweet 8-year-old son. In his place, I have found a cranky, angry 8-year old. If you find the original Austin, please return to me ASAP! I sure miss him!!

In all seriousness, I am really worried about Austin. Every since they tracked back on last week, he has come home grumpy and angry. He doesn't like his new table, he thinks his teacher has higher expectations of him and he doesn't think it's fair. Yesterday he was upset because he was unable to check out a book from the library. (LONG story...) My point is that it's always something and most of the time it's something that really isn't that big of a deal. What it boils down to is this: he is upset!! He is letting things bother him that normally wouldn't. I have no idea what to do. The other night he cried for almost 45 minutes!! I felt terrible!! He is having a really hard time and I can't help but think that it's all my fault! After all, I am his mom. I am suppose to make everything better, right? I am hoping he settles down the move. But, here's the thing....we have moved A LOT since we've had Austin. Not everytime has been our choosing (like this time) and I am wondering if we have screwed him up by interrupting his life so much! What should I do?
6 comments:
I don't think it is moving alot. I moved ALOT as a kid and at the major parts of my life, baptizem,16th birthday, senior year of high school, to name a few and I am just fine, all though after a couple years in one place I have this iching to move!!! :) Just a thought I was watching this show on tv and the kid was way moody and grumpy all the time and the made gave him a whole bunch of prune juice and he started acting better (if you know what I mean) probably not the solution but hey worth a shot right?! You are a great mom it is prob just a phaz (sp) Hope he brightens up for you soon!
Hey - Don't worry. My mom insists the second we all turned 8 we went nuts and turned into little terrors. I'm sure it's not moving. Boys get hormonal too - turst me, I had three brothers and they were known for throwing tantrums even at and beyond 8 years old. Hang in there and keep loving him!
As someone who is feeling like the worst mother in the world right now, I am not sure if I am the best person to comment. However, Harmony has always been very emotional. The older she gets, the harder it is to deal with. I just take one day at a time with her. One thing that I have to do is make sure that she is getting enough sleep, drinking enough water, and having regular snacks. When her blood sugar drops, so does her attitude. The biggest thing is being patient. Give him an outlet. Maybe a boyish journal to write his feelings in. Also, being the oldest I know Harmony needs her space. Since she is the only girl, she has her own room,but letting her go in by herself and have time to herself has helped. Kind of a self imposed time out. Maybe he can go on your bed, and be allowed to lock the door. Write in his journal, read a book, play a DS, just some time to himself. Hope that helps!
I forgot!! We have moved a lot, changed schools a lot, and put our children through a lot. Deployments, the autism diagnosis, a new baby...tons of stuff. They all deal in their own way. Harmony right now, hates Ben. She hates the Navy. Ethan just lets things roll off his back. Just like adults, kids deal with it in different ways!
Hang in there! You're a great mom and I bet things will get better soon. Probably as soon as everything calms down for you guys then he'll go back to normal.
I haven't experienced this firsthand yet, but I have heard others talk about changes in behavior that come when a child is 8 - they have now reached the age of accountability, and are able to be tempted by Satan. That doesn't offer any help, necessarily, but perhaps realizing that and that he's growing up and changing can help you know what to do. The suggestions already given are all good - consistent meal and sleeping times, a place to go to be alone, a journal. Moving most likely will not hurt him long term, but in the short term it could be bothering him, my 6 year old had a hard time when we moved, but he's now adjusted and back to his old self. Changes affect children in different ways.
Post a Comment