Friday, March 09, 2007
My Jury Duty Experience
Now, I know I probably didn't have the best attitude about having to show up for jury duty and now I feel bad about it. It was actually a really cool experience and there wsa free doughnuts!! When I got there, I had to fill out some paper work. Then they assigned me a number and I sat to wait. They called 20 people back to the courtroom for questioning and I happened to be one of them. I have never actually been in a real courtroom before and it was pretty cool....nothing like what you see on TV!! The case was presented and then we were all asked some very general questions. It was a DUI case so a lot of the questions asked by the judge were about our feelings about drinking and drunk driving. After about an hour we went back to the jury assembly room to wait some more. Then we were all called in for individual questioning. For that I had to sit on the witness stand. I was there a total of 4 hours before I was excused. I was secretly hoping to be put on the trial jury. It was an amazing experience to see the justice system work so up close and personal. So, next time you get a jury summons, try looking at it with a different attitude. As Americans, it is our right and privilege to do many things in this country. Including voting and serving on a jury. Plus, if you go, you just might learn something new!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment