
Here it is...the middle of summer. And we are heading back to school after a two-week furlough. Today the boys were able to go attend a "goal-setting" conference with each of their teachers. We dropped off school supplies and wrote out checks for fees and pictures! It confirmed what I was taught in high school Economics.....there is no such thing as a free lunch. Or in this case, free education! I really don't mind helping out my kids school. I understand that there is not enough money for them. But, we just wrapped up a school year one paycheck ago. That paycheck had to cover end of the year costs. Such as pizza parties, teachers gifts and fees for activities they completed the last few weeks. Said paycheck also had to cover two new backpacks, oodles and oodles of school supplies, 2 pairs of shoes, new clothes and a snazzy new haircut. It just would have been nice to have more time to prepare financially and emotionally for this week! We aren't the kind of people who have money to spend on a whim. Every dime we spend is budgeted. Which means, we are going to have a fun month. Creative accounting.

Enough of that....Collin's teacher read one of my favorite stories to the moms and kindergartners. It's called The Kissing Hand. It's a story about a raccoon who is afraid to go to school because he will miss his mom. The mom raccoon tells him the secret of the kissing hand. That's all I am going to tell you. If you want to know more...read the book!! Anyway, besides making me cry, it made me think. Where has the time gone? I know it's a little cliche, but really. Where did it go? Collin is too little for school. It's weird. I don't like change. I wish I could just freeze time. But, on the other hand, it's so fun to watch them grow and learn. So, Wednesday morning I will be letting go. Letting Collin go to big-kid school. Letting him make his own friends and his own decisions. (at least while at school) Think of me on Wednesday. It's gonna be a long day!!
6 comments:
I wondered if maybe it got easier with each kid but I can see that it probably doesn't! They read that book for Luke's first day last year too and it's so sweet but really brings on the mommy tears!
It seems like only yesterday, I was holding Collin in my arms, saying hello to him as we said goodby to grandpa (my dad). I know he will do well in school and I do know it is hard to let go!! Love you and will be thinking of you!!
I can only imagine how hard it is to let go! I can not believe he is ready for big kid school already! Time flies:) I know that you will be fine go get yourself and extra hot venti carmel macciato and cry:) it will do you good! Love Ya I will be thinking of you for sure!
I will have to look up that book for Addie. Craziness!
and yes, school supplies should be fun on the budget, I have already gotten some clothes, but more to come I am sure!
They do grow up fast. I am freaking out because Megan is going into Jr. High this year. I am not old enough for that. Good luck this week!
Good luck Beth! Kids grow up WAY TOO FAST! *HUGS*
Post a Comment