Friday, August 27, 2010

600th Post!!

Wow! This is post #600! I feel like I should do something special to mark this milestone. But, since I can't really think of anything I will just go on with my post! I wasn't sure if I should even bring this up on such a public forum, but I figure hardly anyone reads this anyway and it's my blog and it's what I have been feeling/thinking about all week. I need to get it off my chest!

I have had a weird week. Let me explain....something happened Sunday that has left me feeling hurt/sad/angry/confused. Some people might think I have over reacted to the situation, but I guarentee that if it had been their kids involved, they would react the same way! Here is what happened, in a nut shell. Our church has a "class" for kids 18 months until the January after their 3rd birthday. At that point they move up to a normal Sunday School type schedule. The "class" is called nursery because that is basically all it is. The kids play, eat, play, maybe have a lesson, play, sing, etc. Because the twins are 3 they belong in the "older" nursery. Well, Sunday someone told us that they do better in the younger one and that they were too hard to handle, so that is where they were moving them. (to the younger one) Some people may be thinking "What's the big deal?" Well, I will tell you! My twins are developmental delayed in several areas. This accusation that they are too hard to handle made me feel like they were being targeted because of their delays. And that is why I am so mad! How dare they treat my kids, or anyone else's, that way! Church is a place to go and feel loved and accepted no matter what. No one ever came to us and expressed concerns about their behavior during "class." So we had no idea there was a problem. My point to all of this, they shouldn't be kept behind because of their delays. And someone should have come to us in private instead of saying these things in front of a bunch of people. I ended up coming home in tears.

This entire incident has sort of rocked my world. My faith in my Church has not been shaken but my faith is people sure has. I really thought that no matter what people think of me, they would accept my kids for who they are. I loathe going back on Sunday. I don't want to send my kids to a place where they are, obviously, not wanted. For reasons I won't explain on here, I know that if I were someone else this wouldn't have happened. I don't feel like I belong, which is fine. But now how are my kids suppose to feel? This has tormented me all week and I am left with so many unanswered questions. I just don't know what the right thing to do is....

3 comments:

Daniel & Kelli McDowell Family said...

Beth I am so sorry! It always hurts more when it is your kids. My mom always told me, the church is perfect, the people in it are NOT! :) It sucks that you had to be reminded. Were their teachers aware of the boys situation? Cause I sure wasn't, they are adorable! I think you have every right to speak with the primary president and see if there are any options for salvaging the situation. So, wow, there's more private stuff on a public forum! Hope you can work things out. There definitely should have been some warning, or a request for you to come and help . . . Sorry you had a rough week!

My side. said...

I agree with above! I've had experiences when i was so hurt with some of the things that people at church and from the church have said about me- which made me question the religion itself! But its not the gospel, its the people that aren't perfect in anyway whatsoever! We choose to be offended, and Heavenly Father will take care of the offender if we do what's right and choose to forgive! I miss you and the kids!!! xoxoxo

Dennison Family said...

Firstly, CONGRATS on your 600th post! I hope to be just like you when I grow up! :) But, Iknow I have to post more to get to that point! :)
Secondly, I'm very sorry you had to deal with that at church. I'm not going to try to make excuses for them in any way...sounds like other things are going on as well. Not easy to deal with. I'm glad your faith isn't shaken. Keep that up. When I was over nursery, if we did have someone that was especially difficult, the first thing we would do is ask the parents what works and what doesn't. Maybe you can give them some suggestions. They really should stay with that older class because they will be moving to sunbeams in 4 months. Honestly, it sounds like the leaders for the "older" class don't quite know how to do things and definitely don't know that the parents are your BEST resource! Hopefully you have worked something out by now. Sorry you were in tears. That breaks my heart!! :( ((Huggs))