Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Boring Stuff



Have you see this movie?



It is so cute and one of my favorites! I have a lot of favorite lines from this movie. One being when Ellie, describing South America, says "It's just like America, only it's South."

Anyway, tonight we were watching it again and the part where Russell is talking about his dad really struck me. He was talking about how they used to go to Fenton's and get ice cream. Then they would sit outside and count the colored cares that drove by. Russell then said
"I know it sounds boring, but I think it's the boring stuff I miss the most."

That is what I want my kids to remember about me. We don't do any big, exciting trips. We've never gone to Disneyland or New York. I hope they don't resent that about me when they get older. I hope they will remember that I stood out in the freezing cold during football practice or that we watched Harry Potter curled up in my bed. Or that we read books together and talked about what super powers we wish we had. Or that we would put the twins to bed and play the Wii together. Or that we would make ice cream sundaes for lunch!
I am not a perfect mother, but I hope that someday my kids will appreciate the little things I did for them. Because, as much as I think a trip to Disneyland would be fun, I want them to remember that I loved them and always made time for them.

You know, the boring stuff!

2 comments:

Debi said...

I love that movie!! I also love the boring stuff!! You are an awesome mom and I know your kids will never resent you!!

Lisa said...

Amen! Ben gets crap at work for not taking our kids to Disneyland or for not going on BIG vacations, but we spend the majority of our time TOGETHER! And that's what matters most.