Monday, September 11, 2006

Have we Forgotten?

It's hard to believe that it's been 5 years since 9/11. Like so many other people, I remember exactly what I was doing that day and how I felt. I was pregnant with Austin and I had a doctor appointment that day. I remember getting out of the shower and feeling slightly annoyed with Travis because I thought he was watching a movie. It wasn't until later that I realized it was LIVE coverage of NYC. Like so many other Americans, I watched breathlessly as the 2nd plane hit the tower. On our way to the docot appointment, we listed to radio coverage that a plane had hit the pentagon. As I listened to my unborn child's heartbeat, the towers fell. As the events of the day unfolded and we understood what was happening, the true American spirit came out! People all over the country stood in long lines to donate blood. We saw images of rescue workers running in while so many were fighting to get out. We saw flags unfurled in so many places; on top of "Ground Zero", on the pentagon, and every American home across the country. In the days that followed, people actually stood at attention and cried when they heard The Star Spangled Banner. We worked together as a nation to fight back.
So, where are we five years later? Fighting with each other about the war, demanding our troops should be brought home and talking and laughing before a ball game when the most amazing song is being sung. We live in a great nation and how many of us don't evern appreciate it? I pray we remember September 11, 2001 and the way we felt about our nation and that we teach our children to love and respect this great nation.

No comments: