Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Oh the things I wish I could say....

I know people don't like 2-a-day posts, but I just had to get this off my chest. I had some errands to run today and many of you know what a pain that can be with kids. But with Collin and 6-month-old twins, it's an even BIGGER pain! Anyway, I hadn't gotten 2 steps inside the grocery store when someone stopped me to ask about the twins. I try to be very nice, but it gets a little annoying. So, while I was doing my shopping (and being stopped 6 other times in my 30 minute shopping trip) I thought of all the responses I wish I had the nerve to say to people. Here they are:

They say: "Oh my! Are they twins?"
What I say: "Yes...aren't they cute?"
What I wish I could say: "No..they are 6 weeks apart."

They say: "Wow! 4 boys. You must be busy."
What I say: "I sure am, but it sure is fun."
What I wish I could say: "No! I just sit on my butt all day and watch TV."
Note~I know there are people out there who wouldn't be surprised at this answer. You know the ones. "So you don't work, you just stay home with your kids." I could do an entire post on that statement!

They say: "Are you going to try for a girl."
What I say: "I guess we'll wait and see."
What I wish I could say: "Are you crazy? I had 2 boys, got pregnant with twins and had 2 more boys. Obvioulsy God is sending me a message!"

They say: "Wow! 4 kids...that sure is a lot."
What I say: "We are blessed."
What I wish I could say: "Mind your own business!"

They say: "I can't believe you are out and about with all those kids."
What I say: Laugh
What I wish I could say: "I can't believe you are out and about with your hair looking like that."


I am sorry if this seems a little cynical. I know people are fascinated with twins for some reason. (At least people who don't have them!) And I normally love talking about my kids. I mean, they are so darn cute!! But, there are days...like today....where I have things that I need to get done. It's hard enough having to drag my kids around without having to stop every 2 minutes and explain all about my family life to a total stranger!

BTW~Sorry for all the misspellings....for some reason my spellcheck isn't working!

4 comments:

Debi said...

I love your what you want to says!! I think you do a great job and even though it is hard sometimes, you do the right thing come home and blog about it and get it off your chest. Now I am one of those people that do not have kids, but lately with babysitting London I can say sometimes the things people say are stupid!

Maria said...

That is so funny! I even read it out loud to Jeff in the other room. Thanks for the bit of humor, and good luck!

Trina said...

Ok so that post was so funny! I loved it!! This is Addy's mom from preschool and I just saw your link on Jamies blog so I had to stop by. Sorry! Addy always talks about your little boy. I think she may have a crush.

Stacey said...

Lol, Beth I can sooo relate. Although it has gotten better since CJ and Lexi have gotten bigger, but when they were babies it was horrible going out in public with them. I hate to say this but it might not get any easier for you since they are both boys and look so much alike, but they are so stinking cute so it's okay, right?