Monday, March 31, 2008

Practice what you Preach

I love the quote I have at the top of my blog. It is seriously one of my most favorite quotes EVER! I look at it pretty often and something hit me today. I don't think I do a very good job at actually trying to live it. I think I spend a majority of my day enduring and very little time actually enjoying. Do you know what I mean? I honestly believe that we are meant to enjoy life. But, I don't know how much I actually do. Now, don't get me wrong...I love my life. And I enjoy most of the things I have to do. I just think I could find more enjoyment in my day to day things. I don't think I am suddenly going to find laundry enjoyable, but I think I can find a way to enjoy those mudane tasks. I am sure I am making no sense, it's just something I have been thinking about. Do I really enjoy life or am I just enduring it? Do I find joy and purpose in my "to-do" list? Any suggestions? Does anyone else feel the same? Or I am really crazy?

3 comments:

Your favorite sister said...

I absolutely love that quote too. And I totally know what you are talking about. Emily Watts uses what she calls turning the but backwards. I know it sounds funny but basically it's like this, " I have a wonderful husband but he works long hours. So if you turn it around it is, " I have a wonderful husband who works long hours." So you are putting the positive aspect first. That is what I try to do when I feel like that!

Arlyn said...

Hello...I'm a stranger here. I just had to stop and say that I completely know how you feel! Some days it's all I can do to remember that I WANTED to be a mother and care for a home! Wasn't it supposed to be a little more exciting? I've been struggling with letting go of the things that I want to do and focusing on what my kids need from me. But since my oldest daughter is turning into such a fiesty little spirit, I'm going to have to refocus!

I find my chores get a little more enjoyable if I can work with my kids and talk to them while doing it. Not so easy as they are all under 8, but at least it's something!

Jaymie and Donna Jones said...

I totally know what you mean. What I try to do when I notice I am in one of those moods... I take a little break and turn on some music....(usually disney because of the kids) and just dance around with then kids for a little. Then when I get back to that long "to-do" list I have a smile on my face and usually I am still dancing. Also to hear Kylie and Jayce laughing and having fun in the background always makes me enjoy everything that much more!!!