
Has it really been 6 years? Today marks a sad anniversary for Americans. I really love this picture. They set up these flags at a park in Tempe. I can't help but remember what I was doing 6 years ago today:
I was about 7 months pregnant with Austin. I woke up and got in the shower. I had a doctor appointment that morning. When I got out, I was a little annoyed with Travis who was sitting in front of the TV. It appeared that he was watching some sort of action movie, which really irritated me. We needed to get ready to go!! As I was about to yell at him he told me what was really going on. Someone flew a plane into the World Trade Center. What? How can that be? It must have been an accident. No....because someone also flew one into the Pentagon. We weren't sure what to do. Should we head out for the appointment or stay glued to the TV? We decided to get ready to go. Just then we learned that a 2nd plane flew into the other World Trade Center tower. I really couldn't believe it. As we were driving across town, we listened to all the reports on the radio. As we sat in the exam room, the doctor had the news on as well. As he was checking Austin's heartbeat, one of the towers began to fall. It was a very strange moment. Here we were celebrating life yet we were watching such a senseless act of destruction. It was really strange.
We all know what has transpired since then. I just don't want to forget how I felt that day. I was sad, but so proud to be American. I was filled with despair and yet filled with hope that the child I was carrying could someday help change the world. Even if it was just in some small way.
On this September 11th, let us remember what it means to be free.
2 comments:
I just sat back down at my computer to read this and on the radio comes "Where were when the world stopped turning" by Alan Jackson. I remember being at work and here all the reports. Also remember talking to you after your appt. Don't you worry Austin will help this great country we work in even if it is just a little:)
Love Ya
Hope you are feeling better.
What an incredible post! That was so moving! I hope you don't mind, I used that picture on my blog too, I just thought it was a powerful picture--thank you for such a heart felt reminder of how lucky we are!
Post a Comment